Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business recently established a new Diversity Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) MBA Scholarship Fund as part of its ongoing commitment to attracting students with an array of experiences.
“Here at Georgetown, we believe deeply in the importance of diverse perspectives in our classrooms, our careers, and our relationships,” said Prashant Malaviya, senior associate dean for MBA programs. “The DEI MBA Scholarship Fund aims to reinforce these beliefs and create new opportunities for MBA students to reach their academic and career-related goals.”
The scholarship fund, which originated with Georgetown McDonough’s MBA Alumni Advisory Council DEI subcommittee, is part of a larger, multi-faceted effort. In October 2020, Dean Paul Almeida convened a Standing Committee on DEI composed of faculty, students, staff, and other stakeholders to define what DEI means at McDonough, gather data, report on the state of DEI at the school, and recommend next steps.
The committee has since established Georgetown McDonough’s 7Cs for DEI to guide goal-setting related to the school’s:
- Composition, including efforts to recruit, admit, retain, and graduate/promote more diverse students, staff, and faculty
- Communication related to the school’s DEI initiatives, data, and outcomes
- Curriculum and the extent to which courses address DEI and incorporate diverse readings, speakers, and materials
- Co-curricular activities and organizations
- Career-related events and pathways
- Community, including partnerships, purchasing, and participation
- Culture, as it reflects the school’s Jesuit values and commitment to DEI
Several months ago, Georgetown McDonough announced that its undergraduate Class of 2025 is one of the most diverse cohorts in MSB history.
“We continue to aspire for a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive McDonough community—the work is never done,” said Serafina Smith, director of MBA admissions, diversity partnerships. “The DEI MBA Scholarship Fund is an important component in furthering this mission and creating a better future for McDonough School of Business students and alumni.”
Learn more about Georgetown McDonough’s strategic priorities as it works to prepare leaders who see, and use, business as a force for good in the world.